Scheduling regular professional dental cleanings with a licensed dentist or hygienist is extremely important to your dental health. Seeing us regularly allows Dr. Nielsen to create a working relationship with your teeth, allowing him to note changes and catch problems as they occur. We recommend coming in for dental cleanings at least twice a year.
What will happen at my cleaning?
With our specialized tools and education, our exceptionally trained hygienist at TruDental Spokane will:
- remove any plaque that is resting on the surfaces of your teeth or along the gum line.
- remove plaque that has hardened into tartar or calculus, this requires specialized techniques and tools and should not be attempted on your own, so as to not cause damage to the enamel of your teeth.
- remove any Tartar that has extended below the gum line, which can cause infection known as gum disease.
- polish your teeth to remove any surface stains.
Sometimes, our hygienist may find it necessary to recommend further treatment. With the approval of Truman Nielsen, DMD, a deep cleaning may be needed. Deep Cleanings go below the gum line. Through a process called Scaling and Root Planing, we can remove the infected debris that is causing gum pockets to form and irritation to your gums. Dr. Nielsen will review your past dental history and identify any further problems you may need treatment for.
What will happen at my Dental Examination?
Having regular examinations with Truman Nielsen, DMD allows him to detect problems and prevent larger health issues before they become serious. Consistent dental check-ups help catch oral problems when they are small and easier to treat, saving you time in the chair, expense, and most importantly, pain.
During your dental examinations, Dr. Nielsen will check:
- indications for gum disease
- anything abnormal that indicates oral cancer
- a visual evaluation looking for tooth decay
- measuring your gum pockets and tracking their size
- dental digital X-rays helping us to detect hidden issues including tooth decay, cysts, tumors, problems below the gums
For more information on Dental Cleanings and Exams, contact Dr. Nielsen at our Spokane, WA office. (509) 593-3033
Regular examinations by Truman Nielsen, DMD are very important for your health. Remember, "An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure." -Benjamin Franklin